Relax and unwind this summer by exploring our local State Parks or enjoying one of our many festivals, and wineries. Spend a day shopping at one of the local farmers’ markets or antique stores. Experience Portage County’s art scene, galleries and history. Portage County offers something for everyone. To get you started we have created a list of the top twenty (20) things to do this summer in Portage County.
Coming in from out of town? Conveniently located, Exit 33 offers visitors six budget friendly chain hotels, several campgrounds, and an assortment of dining options.
1. Enjoy a hike in one of the three State Parks located in the county.
State Route 282, Nelson Township, OH 44231
440.564.2279 | website
West Branch State Park
5570 Esworthy Rd., Ravenna, OH 44266
330.296.3239 | website
Wingfoot Lake State Park
993 Goodyear Park Blvd., Mogadore, OH 44260
330.628.4720 | website
2. Visit a local farmers market. (seasonal)
Haymaker Farmer’s Market
Franklin Ave – Below Haymaker Parkway Bridge, Kent, OH 44240
330.422.8034 | website
Stahl’s Farm Market
4560 OH-14, Ravenna, OH 44266
330.325.0640 | website
Giulitto Farm’s Market
4052 Lake Rockwell Rd., Ravenna, OH
330.592.2763 | website
Downtown Ravenna Farmers Market
246 W Cedar Ave, Ravenna, OH 44266
Monroe’s Orchard & Farm Market, LLC
6313 Pioneer Trail, Hiram, OH 44234
330.569.7464 | website
Aurora Farmers Market
Dates: June 13 – August 29, 2018 Closed July 4
Time: 4-7 PM
146 S. Chillicothe Rd., Aurora, OH 44202
3. Pack a picnic and enjoy an outdoor community concert.
Home Heritage Concert Series
Dates: June 7, June 21, July 5, July 19, August 9, 2018
Time: 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Location: Hometown Bank Plaza, 142 N.Water Street, Kent, OH 44240
FREE Summer Music Concerts
Dates: Every other Wednesday
Time: 6:30pm-8:30pm, June 6-August 15, 2018
Except: July 4, 2018 (7:30pm-9:30pm)*
Location: Veterans Memorial Park, 40 W. Garfield Rd., Aurora, OH 44202
Location July 4th: Kiwanis-Moore Park, 35 W. Pioneer Trail, Aurora, OH 44202
4. Enjoy a homemade frozen custard at the original Stoddards.
Location: 1321 West Main Street, Kent, OH 44240
A family-owned business since 1948.
5. Watch a tractor pull while enjoying fair food at the Portage County Randolph County Fair.
Dates: August 21-26, 2018
Location: 4215 Fairgrounds Rd., Atwater, Ohio 44201-9372
6. Enjoy live music, entertainment, food, a classic car show and fireworks at the Kent Heritage Festival.
Kent Heritage Festival
Date: June 30, 3018
Location: Downtown Kent, OH 44240
Local art, wine, music, and food — all in the heart of downtown Kent. Free to enter; $20 for a commemorative wine glass and 10 wine tasting tickets. Presented in partnership with Kent State University College of the Arts.
7. Learn about Portage County history by visiting a local historical museum.
Kelso House Museum
Location: 4158 State Route 43, Brimfield, OH 44240
330.673.1058 | website
Kent Historical Society and Museum
Location: 237 E. Main St., Kent, OH 44240
330.678.2712 | website
Portage County Historical Society
Location: 6549 N. Chestnut St., Ravenna, OH 44266
330.296.3523 | website
Location: 935 Singletary Dr., Streetsboro, OH 44241
330.221.8766 | website
8. Take a bike ride on the Portage Hike & Bike Trail.
The Portage Hike and Bike Trail serves as a key east-west link between the major trail systems in Northeast Ohio. For more information and/or to download a trail map. Click here.
9. Watch hot air balloons take to the sky.
Ravenna Balloon A-Fair
Dates: September 15-16, 2018
Location: Downtown Ravenna and
SUNBEAU Valley Farm, Ravenna, OH 44266
10. Pack up the family and enjoy a drive-in movie.
Location: 2736 State Route 59, Ravenna, Ohio 44266
11. Put on your lederhosen and enjoy one of the German Fests happening in Portage County.
Old European Days & Bierfest
Dates: June 23-24, 2018
Location: American German Family Society
3871 Ranfield Rd., Kent, OH 44240
Main Street Kent Oktoberfest
Date: September 22, 2018
Location: Main Street Kent, Kent, OH 44240
12. Enjoy a glass of Ohio wine at a local winery.
Barrel Run Crossing Winery
3272 Industry Rd., Rootstown, OH
330.325.1075 | website
155 Treat Rd., Aurora, OH
330.562.9245 | website
West Main Street Winery
234 West Main Street, Ravenna, OH 44266
330.839.8042 | website
13. Grab a bite to eat at the most unusual restaurant in Portage County, “Mike’s Place”.
1700 South Water Street, Kent, OH 44240
330.673.6501 | website
14. Learn about the history of fashion at the Kent State Museum of Fashion.
Kent State University Museum
Location: 515 Hilltop Drive, Kent, OH 44240
15. Take a kayak ride on the Cuyahoga River with Breakaway Excursions.
Location: 4690 East Prospect Street, Mantua, Ohio 44255
440.773.2465 | website
16. Enjoy a fresh from the oven pastry from Brimfield Bread Oven.
Brimfield Bread Oven
Location: 3956 OH-43 #2, Brimfield, OH 44240
330.474.7800 | website
Brimfield Bread Oven is a European style bakery in Brimfield Township, Ohio. Everything is made from scratch with simple ingredients, hand-shaped and baked in an off-grid, wood-fired oven.
17. Support our local artisans. Visit one of the areas art galleries and shops.
141 E. Main St., Kent, OH 44240
330.672.1379 | website
Group Ten Gallery
210 E Erie St., Kent, OH 44240
330.678.7890 | website
FJKluth Art Gallery
300 N Water St. Ste 1, Kent, OH 44240
330.676.1999 | Facebook page
10763 Main St., Mantua, OH 44255
330.977.8006 | website
18. Find a treasure in one of the many antique stores.
I-76 Antique Mall
4284 Lynn Rd., Ravenna, OH 44240
330.325.9776 | website
City Bank Antiques
115 S. Water St., Kent, OH 44240
330.677.1479 | website
Streetsboro Antique Mall
8932 State Route 14, Streetsboro, OH 44241
330.474.7442 | website
Streetsboro Flea Market
1513 Route 303 East, Streetsboro, OH 44241
330.422.1380 | website
19. Eat carnival fries at the Mantua Potato Festival.
Mantua Potato Festival
Dates: September 7-9, 2018
Location: Buchert Memorial Park, Mantua, OH
20. Take a picture with one the original 1966 Batmobiles* at Brimfest.
Dates: September 20-23, 2018
*Batmobile Appearance: Saturday, September 22, 2018 | Time: TBA
Location: Brimfield Town Center Park , Brimfield, OH
ORDER YOUR FREE CENTRAL PORTAGE VISITOR GUIDE TODAY.